1500 Purson Lane · Lafayette, California 94549
925.209.6592 · email@example.com
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR: Linux / Unix
Dynamic IT systems engineer with 17 years of experience and a history of improving revenues, functionality, availability, and technical support while reducing costs and cycle times. Strategic thinker with record of developing and implementing innovative system solutions and process enhancements. Meticulous team leader / player with proven ability to manage mission-critical enterprise core services, build strong business relationships, diagnose and resolve problems, and leverage extensive depth and breadth of technical and administrative expertise.
· Reduced firewalls mailing list delivery times from 5-8 days to less than 1 day (in collaboration with colleagues) by relieving sendmail / server congestion through the creation of PERL scripts; co-authored paper on the system later presented at the Usenix LISA conference (GNAC, Inc.).
· Decreased costs and deployment time by expediting transition to Solaris at Synopsys, Inc.
· Delivered open wireless access across all customer sites while maximizing security.
GREG KULOSA CONSULTING, Lafayette, California · 2000 to present
IT consultancy with focus on systems administration, networks, and website design.
Direct all operations and projects. Devise and deploy strategies to optimize systems, client satisfaction, and revenues. Manage 2 Linux firewalls simultaneously functioning as mail, web, and DNS servers. Maintain a customer website and an Ethernet network linking 7 locations, including wiring installations. Increase efficiency and productivity by implementing process / software enhancements. Analyze and resolve end user email problems and a key client’s website issues (in coordination with client’s internal web development function). Cultivate strong client relationships.
· Grew client revenues by spearheading the development and rollout of a website; improved content in conjunction with client’s team members.
· Bolstered communications for a ~ 40-person organization by enhancing email system.
· Delivered open wireless access across all customer sites while maximizing security (no access for external parties) by creating a customized OpenWRT solution (embedded Linux for Linksys wireless routers) to filter access to the DMZ.
· Facilitated multiple client projects by demonstrating potential benefits and obtaining consensus.
GREG KULOSA · Page 2 · firstname.lastname@example.org
NOMINUM, INC., Redwood City, California · 2000 to 2001
DHCP and DNS software solutions firm.
DHCP Consulting Engineer
Ensured prompt and effective technical support for users on the DHCP mailing list. Diagnosed and resolved DHCP server issues and bugs; advised on server configuration. Conducting beta testing operations on ISC DHCP software releases across multiple platforms (including Solaris X86, Windows, and Red Hat Linux); leveraged Vmware to enable simulation of server / client networks.
· Enhanced quality of new DHCP server application releases by performing tests.
· Created an intensive DHCP course and instructed company students; created network environments with realistic bugs / deficiencies for students to discover and eliminate.
· Improved user experiences by providing peerless technical / systems support.
GNAC, INC., Redwood City, California · 1998 to 2000
IT strategy and solutions consultancy with primarily enterprise clientele. ~ 35 employees.
Member of Technical Staff
Played key roles on numerous projects, with concentration on infrastructure initiatives. Counseled clients and built strong relationships. Prepared project proposals and delivered hands-on expertise.
· Reduced firewalls mailing list delivery times (for 10,000+ members and 100+ daily messages) from 5-8 days to less than 1 day (in collaboration with colleagues) by relieving sendmail / server congestion through the creation of PERL scripts; co-authored paper on the system later presented at the Usenix LISA conference.
· Bolstered database management by employing PERL to develop a CGI library.
SYNOPSYS, INC., Mountain View, California · 1995 to 1998
Software firm specializing in microchip design applications.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator – Technical Lead, Core Services
Managed enterprise-wide core services operations (DNS, NIS / YP, email, and Network Appliance NFS software servers). Maintained and optimized 18-20 mission-critical servers.
· Led DHCP to launch in 8 days (vs. initial 30 day timeline); became DHCP subject matter expert.
· Decreased costs and deployment time by expediting transition to Solaris; improved on the Sun implementation model by enabling Solaris client installations to precede server upgrades.
Extensive Coursework in Computer Science
William Rainey Harper College, Palatine, Illinois
ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT / TEACHING
Multiple Usenix LISA Conferences (Attendee and Tutorial Presenter)
Software: Linux, Solaris, sendmail, qmail, Apache webserver (httpd)
DNS (named), Cricket Monitoring Software, spamassassin, DHCP
Hardware: Wireless Routers, Ethernet Hubs / Switches, PC Hardware
Languages: sh, csh, PERL, c, make files, HTML